Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Kellerman Releases His First Video Game!

Hello, Kellermaniacs!

So I've got some real BIG NEWS for all you Kellerman Buffs out there in Blog Land!

Yes, I know, it's been quite some time since old J-Kels has graced the world with a blog post, but I've been really busy behind the scenes on various projects, and this is one of the biggest!

PRESENTING...

BUTT!

What is BUTT? Butt is my new, old video-game! What do I mean by "new, old," you ask?

I first designed the game in good old 1983 when I was finishing my B.A. in Communications at Wanetshaw Community College in Dearborn, MI. This was in the pre-"Advice Hour" era, of course. It was just a fun project to exercise my creativity muscles. Like a real muscle, you have to exercise creativity to get stronger...do this, and some day you can become a creativity heavyweight like me! I wanted to create a video game that reflected my emerging interest in self-empowerment and positive thinking.

The original game was somewhat different than the game you can play today. It was titled "The Angelic Struggle" and featured an Angel of Positivity repelling the materialist, consumerist objects spewed by the Clouds of Despair, using the mighty Bellows of Self-Empowerment. The game was a big hit with my sophomore roomate, a certain Mister David Munson you might have heard of (wink wink!).

However, technology is a temperamental beast. I saved the game on a SAWG-E Flopping Diskette, produced by the Balonatronics corporation (back in the glorious '80s, Balonatronics was a subsidiary of the famous Baloney Hut fast food chain we all know and love). Unfortunately, I never found another computer compatible with it after I got rid of my trust old Rubendo 5000 PCD (personal computational device). Then after my beloved Vickie died back in 1996, I lost track of it.

But you can't keep a good idea down! A couple months ago, Scott was fishing around in some old boxes, looking for hidden treasures among a bunch of Grandma Kellerman's old stuff. What should he find, though, but the original SAWG-E Flopping Diskette by Balonatronics? He passed it on to his whiz-kid pal Johnny Weinstein, and using his incredible electronics skills, he was able to access the original master and sub-ter files!

Under my supervision, the game was updated to reflect the modern era. The name "The Angelic Struggle" was dropped because Scott said it was too outdated. He re-named it "Butt" instead, due to his market research into youth culture and modern gaming trends. Some of the objects in the game were touched up, and some new ones were added, to reflect 2010s sensibilities.

An interesting development occurred when Johnny discovered the licensing agreement of the original Balonatronics diskette I used. Apparently, by using the disk, I was also signing away half the rights to anything saved on the disk to the Balonatronics Corporation. I called in my manager, the always fabulous Lance Erikson, to investigate and sort everything out. Apparently, since Balonatronics now only exists to oversee the properties they created when they were an active company, in lieu of paying them any licensing fees, we made the project a sort of collaboration. All we had to do was credit Balonatronics as the co-producer of the game, along with me, and the Jeremy Kellerman Productions gang. This is great! I get to see my name alongside a beloved fast food giant's subsidiary! To show our thanks for being so easy to work with, we gave Roger Nimrockets, "Mr. Baloney" himself, founder of Baloney Hut, a little cameo in the game. Thanks, Roger!

Our game was finally released on April 1st, 2014, and I couldn't be happier. The PC version is currently available directly from Jeremy Kellerman Productions via this link: https://gumroad.com/l/YoDu

The OUYA version can be accessed here: https://www.ouya.tv/game/Butt/

Even more exciting, BUTT is a featured OUYA game today, April 2nd, 2014! Wow! A historical Kellerman moment! Yes! I hope soon to see some Let's Play Videos, reviews, and other fun stuff! We're working on an Android tablet release, too!

One last note: like other Kellerman projects, I'm releasing BUTT into the public domain using the Creative Commons Zero Waiver (CC0). This way, even more people will have access to my uplifting wisdom. Share it, friends!

I hope to do some more releases in various mediums in the year still ahead. The Kellerman creativity train can't be stopped! Choooo choooo! Nothing can hold J-Kels down!

Until next time, my friends, as always...

Think well, live well, and be well!
Jeremy Kellerman

Promo for Kellerman game

No comments:

Post a Comment